For The Wall Street Journal:
• On the strange, tough life of a strange, tough poet: my review of the new Marianne Moore biography. (Click here, then on the first link you see.)
• My take on Sherwood Anderson’s trippy stories—and his storied trip.
• My bit on the brain and the Bard.
• An essay on Jack Gilbert, but really on whales.
• One review of the lovely correspondence between William Maxwell and Eudora Welty …
• … and another of T.S. Eliot’s really, really, really redundant (and sneakily splendid) letters.
For The New York Times Book Review:
• I sing of swings and swingers.
• I review Michele Zackheim’s Last Train to Paris, a novel that goes slightly off the rails.
For Poetry magazine:
• Of poets and potties! Of talents and toilets! A review of Michael Robbins’s Alien vs. Predator and A. E. Stallings’s Olives.
For the Los Angeles Times:
For the San Francisco Chronicle:
• A review of April Bernard’s Romanticism.